Saturday, November 3, 2012

Fashion Begins at Forty

I'm not quite forty yet, at least not for about half a year more but that's not what this post is about.  It's about fashion or more precisely my lack of fashion. Ha!

For people who've known me longer than the past few months, you'd know I'm not really into fashion.  In high school, when I wasn't in school uniform, I would be content with oversized t-shirts (preferably black), jeans and creepers.  In college, I was still the t-shirt (not so oversized), jeans and sneakers type of person. 

When I started working and maybe til about late last year, my idea of work clothes would be a collared blouse and slacks.  Occasionally, I will be caught wearing a proper blazer.  Oh, I'd be wearing heels but would prefer flats.  It wasn't til about 5 months ago when I started "dressing up at work."  
URC Days, late 90s. Wearing jeans, shirt blouse and a borrowed oversized blazer.

So why the sudden change? Let's call it peer pressure.  (Kung kelan tumanda saka nagpa-peer pressure!)  Actually none of my colleagues were pressuring me.  But if your younger colleagues start looking better than you, baka mapagkamalan kang assistant nila!  Hindi happy thought yun.  Hahaha!
During a Singapore business trip in 2006.  Wearing long-sleeved shirt, slacks and slippers! 
(I can't remember if I just changed my footwear here coming from the session.  I hope so.)

My transformation started slowly and small.  I started my fashion change with shoes, that is, wearing heels.


I discovered 3 1/2" heel arch is still comfortable for me. Also, wedges and platform helps a lot! :D

Also, I started wearing blazers more often.  I found that wearing a jacket gave me a more formal office look even if I was actually just wearing a t-shirt underneath that jacket.

And lately, well, I've taken to wearing dresses!  I  actually have 3 dresses that I can wear to work in my closet!  ha!
First office dress I got at an export overrun store. Super sulit at P700! :D


It's still not a complete transformation.  Mostly I still wear my traditional collared blouse and slacks but this time I make sure I stop wearing them when they're all faded out.  :P

No comments:

Post a Comment