Sunday, November 18, 2012

Bridesmaid Ka Lang

I remember this line from a famous Coca-Cola ad in the 90s.

I've been a bridesmaid so many times, pwede ako humabol kay Katherine Heigl sa 27 Dresses! Not really, but it sure felt just like that.

Somewhere between 2002 to 2008, girl friends of mine started getting married and quite of few of them got me as part of the entourage.  Unlike in the US where being a bridesmaid actually meant helping out the bride to be in the wedding preprations, here in the Philippines it's really mostly just about showing up for the gown fittings, the bridal shower and the actual wedding itself. 

On occasion, this may mean being part of the party who plans the bridal shower or paying for your own dress, which has become an "acceptable gift" to the bride. And yes, I've done both!

The project manager in me simply enjoys planning.  Writing this post just reminds me of the few bridal showers I've organized --- from a really small party of 5 to a couple wedding shower. 

And since I've accumulated so many dresses, I also try to make it a point to re-use them whenever I can (para sulit!)

Sharing with you some of my bridesmaid dresses:


Tey & Pat's Wedding September 30, 2004. 
I got to wear this again during a sales con where I played Kris Aquino
who loved wearing gowns in her shows before.

George & Vanessa's Wedding Dec 15, 2005.
Mehandro & Lorena's Wedding October 2006.  I was the Maid of Honor here.
I think wore this dress also to the Sales Con where I portrayed Kris Aquino. :D

Jay & Cheena's Wedding November 2006.

Jeffrey & Renely's Wedding.  March 2008.
I was a substitute bridesmaid for my sister.  It so happens this is the 2nd time
I became a substitute bridesmaid for a cousin.

Marc & Joelle's Wedding.  April, 28, 2008.
I've worn this dress twice to 2 other weddings and even lent it to
an officemate also for a wedding.

Albert & Eres's Wedding Dec 2008
I've worn this twice as well:  once for a wedding and another for a Filipinian theme event at our office.
Incidentally, beside me in green is the designer of this dress, HS batchmate, Joanne Duque (who also
made my dress for Marc & Joelle's wedding above.)


So how did I like being a bridesmaid several times?  I enjoyed dressing up, getting all made up and learning along the way the style I preferred.  But nothing compares to being the bride at the wedding!  Yep, my wedding is one of my happiest thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment