Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Clark Food Trip: March 14, 2009

(Note: I'm only posting this now coz I've been meaning to add pics but still haven't gotten around to it so here goes...)

My sister is in town from Seattle and having been away for over year, she definitely misses food in the Philippines.  She has a list of food/restaurants she wanted to try:  Behrouz, Pepper Steak, Lechon, Pancit Palabok etc.  There were also some food/restaurants I wanted her to try.
Food trip actually started in Makati.
This one is on my sister’s list.  Chicken is almost a staple to me.  If I can’t decide what to eat, Chicken is the default as it tastes consistent however way it’s cooked. Inasal however gives chicken lovers a different twist.  That’s why, Insasal to me is really comfort food more than anything.
After lunch at Inasal, we met up with Mike and Kathleen.  From Makati, we drove to Clark for our Food trip proper.
Aling Lucing’s Sisig
My sister's been asking me about the Aling Lucing along Pasong Tamo but sisig was best eaten just off the sizzling plate.  We didn't exactly know where the original outlet was located in Pamapanga but we were lucky to find a Food Court outlet in Robinson's San Fernando.  
The verdict:  only unique experience to me was the grilled taste of the meat.  Interesting but not all that.
488 Don Jucio Avenue
Angeles City, Pampanga
2009 Philippines

Phone 63-45-892-0859

Since my recent trip to Seattle, I’ve been on the search for authentic Mexican Food in the Philippines.  Mexicali isn’t bad but it’s not authentic.  Tia Maria gives you the restaurant feel but I realized that it's really BAD Mexican food.  An office friend mentioned Zapata’s to me one time and I went to look for it on the net.  Reviews were wonderful.  And food pictures posted on blogs had an authentic look.  It looks like the way it’s served in the Mexican restaurants I've been to in the States! Hahaha.  Finally we were able to find the quaint little place along Friendship Road with no hitch. 
The verdict:  Authentic it is!  The pita was home made.  The enchilada, the burrito, chili con carne and beef fajitas we tried was muy delicioso! Best I’ve tasted in the PI.  The downsides:  sloooow service and the place reeks of smoke!  I guess there are no ordinances against smoking indoors in Angeles, Pamapanga.  However for authentic mexican food, it can be worth the lung cancer. :P
Frozen Yogurt
Coming from the Duty Free shops, we swung by the Frozen Yogurt en-route to C Italian Dining.  Only two flavors were available when vanilla and strawberry. 
The verdict:  It was frozen soft with just right tangy taste.  It was perfect to clean my palate and prepare my mouth for our next stop.
Don Juico Avenue (Perimeter Road)
Brgy. Malabanas, Angeles City
+63 45 8924059
+63 45 8926993
I've been to C Italian once last Feb when Mike and I went on a day trip to Subic with Bob and Joy.  We really liked it but thought it expensive. 
The verdict:   C Italian brings a different Italian dining experience with the Panizza.  The ceremony that goes with rolling  alfalfa sprouts and arugula leaves into each strip of the rectangular shaped, very thin crusted panizza is quite memorable.  Each bite is certainly most enjoyable.  However need to make a mental note, the pasta's just ok.  Need to try something else in the menu. :-)
During this visit, we got to talk to Chef Chris Locher the owner of C Italian and were sad to hear that plans of a Manila branch might not happen. 
Anyhow this just means three additional excuses to swing by Clark aside from just the Duty Free shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment